Windows VHD Boot Plugin
Ventoy use this plugin to boot VHD(x) files with Windows 7+ in it.
Both Legacy BIOS and UEFI are supported. Both fixed and dynamic VHD(x) are supported.
- How to use
ventoy_vhdboot.img file from https://github.com/ventoy/vhdiso/releases
Put the file under
ventoy directory in the
first partition of the USB stick, that is
/ventoy/ventoy_vhdboot.img and that's all.
- For Windows 10 v1803 and previous versions, the partition storing VHD(X) files must be formatted as NTFS file system.
- For Windows 10 v1809+, in addition to NTFS, VHD(X) files can also be stored in exFAT partition in theory.
You can refer to: http://bbs.wuyou.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=414354&mobile=no
- Better to use traditional method to confirm that the VHD(x) file can be booted normally before use Ventoy to boot it.
- Why not out-of-box support
This feature was not integrated by Ventoy. The main considerations are:
1. bootmgr, etfsboot.com ... These files in ventoy_vhdboot.img are NOT open source, they are directly extracted from Windows ISO file.
2. Easy to update ventoy_vhdboot.img separately
3. Easy to customize ventoy_vhdboot.img